Glancing around the walls of elementary classrooms you will immediately know what your students are studying in science and social studies. You’ll see many charts with photos, others drawn by teachers and labeled with important vocabulary, and big charts of lyrics to songs and chants teaching academic concepts. This is because teachers have been using many new strategies this year, learned from a training called Project GLAD (Guided Language Acquisition Design).
Check out the visuals, and ask your children to recite or sing about the current topics:
- Kindergarten: “Solids, Liquids, Gases”
- First grade: “Pebbles, Sand, Silt”
- Second grade: “Balance and Motion”
- Third grade: “Rock Cycle”
- Fourth grade: “Volcanoes”
- Fifth grade: “European Explorers”