Scott K-5/Roseway Heights Listening Session

PPS is hosting a listening session on opening two new middle schools at Harriett Tubman and Roseway Heights.

When: 5:30-6:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 12
Where: Madison High School Cafeteria, 2735 NE 82nd Ave., Portland, 97220

Members of the Scott School Community should attend to learn more about the plan, which converts Scott into a K-5 school and sends 6-8 grade students to Roseway Heights. Please wear red to show your support for Scott School.

Additional information on PPS’s plan for new middle schools is available here

Summary of Plan posted by PPS: “Portland Public Schools is moving toward a middle school model for students in grades 6-8 as a way to provide expanded options and stronger programs to more students. In April, the PPS Board directed the district to open two middle schools by fall 2018 at Harriet Tubman and Roseway Heights. District planners have developed a detailed framework for the components of exemplary middle schools to be used as a guide.”


PAT and PPS Reach Conceptual Agreement & Upcoming Events

All sides are reporting that the teachers’ union and PPS reached a conceptual agreement in the early morning on Tuesday. They are meeting later today to put that agreement in writing by signing a ‘tentative agreement.’ By state law, a tentative agreement stops the ability to strike. The tentative agreement will also need to be ratified by the union and the school board to become the contract.

What does this mean for Harvey Scott School families this week?

TUESDAY(2/18): All after school activities except YMCA and SUN remain canceled.

WEDNESDAY(2/19): School will start at 8am and run until 11:45 am regardless of the status of the tentative agreement. YMCA is running from 11:45 to pickup. Not sure about SUN. SUN SCHOOL IS CANCELED.

THURSDAY (2/20): If a tentative agreement is signed, school will continue as usual. Presumably YMCA and SUN would also continue as usual. The status of ability to hold the PTA meeting (6pm) at the school is unclear, but the alternative site will be the church across the street from the Prescott entrance of the school.

FRIDAY (2/21): If a tentative agreement is signed, school will continue as usual. Presumably YMCA and SUN would also continue as usual.

February Newsletter

Everyone should have seen a Newsletter in backpacks on Friday. If you haven’t, here is an electronic version. Volume 3 Number 3: Feb 2014

Please note that due to the VERY fluid situation between PPS and PAT (teacher’s union), the dates on the first page are largely incorrect. Please see the district website for more information. We are also trying to keep things up to date on Facebook.

Corrections, as known at this time are below:

Wed, Feb 19th – There is School from 8am to 11:45am. Students will be released early in anticipation of the strike. This allows administration to “check-out” teachers. Note that YMCA will be available for already registered kids from 11:45-regular close. The status of SUN on Wed, Feb 19th is unknown at this time. SUN will not be available on the 19th if there is early release.

Thurs, Feb 20th – In case of a strike, no school. Kindergarten Round-up has been canceled. PTA meeting (6pm) has been kicked out of the building and the PTA is working on an alternative site. YMCA is available all day at Alameda for kids who are already registered with YMCA.

Friday, Feb 21st – In case of strike, no school. YMCA is available all day at Alameda for kids who are already registered with YMCA. The Community Priorities meeting is still on because it was always to be held off-site at Hacienda at 5pm.

Monday, Feb 24th – In case of strike, no school.

Tuesday, Feb 25th – In case of strike, PPS’s contingency plan states that K-8 should start to open with substitutes. Please watch for information. Presumably YMCA and SUN will be available after school on site, but this has not yet been confirmed.

Friday, Feb 27th – African American Heritage night and the Kindergarten Round-up have both been canceled by PPS instruction.


Scott School Community Priorities Meeting Recap

Thank you to all who came out to Scott School on Wednesday, January 15th and to the Baltazar F. Ortiz Community Center Friday, February 21st to voice your priorities and concerns regarding the configuration and programing at Scott School!

Over 100 adults came to the two presentations. Presentations were made by the school administration (Mr. Steinhoff and Dr. Gutierrez, respectively) and by representatives of the Friday morning parents group. We ended with giving everyone 20 stickers to ‘vote’ for the things most important to their family.

Community Priorities Meeting

Our goal is to host one more presentation and survey. We’d like to then host a final large group meeting to share the results of our surveys, share a meal together, and celebrate the positive aspects of Scott School and our community. Keep your eye out for announcements of these future meetings.

To view the presentations from the meetings, click on the files below.

Enrollment Balancing


Timeline_script.scott adapted from Rigler_1]

To briefly recap:

  • Scott School, due to the popularity of filling 3 sections with the Spanish Immersion Program for the past 2 years, is out of room. We need 2-4 additional classrooms next year which Dr. G thinks she can get by reconfiguring some of the ‘extras’
  • PPS is starting a district-wide boundary discussion this year to target changes NO EARLIER THAN FALL 2015. Limiting Spanish Immersion K spots could happen as soon as 2014/2015, but everything else would be put off until then.

There seems to be 3 choices to address the space issue:

    • Choice #1 – Keep K-8 but shrink the Immersion Program to only 2 (instead of 3) sections a year. This would likely occur by limiting applicants to in neighborhood students. Note that if we can find enough within the neighborhood to fill 3 sections, we would have to take them, at least in the short run
    • Choice #2 – Change Scott to a K-5 and keep Spanish Immersion at 3 sections a year. It is very unclear where the middle school would go; such a decision would impact more than Scott
    • Choice #3 – Change the boundaries to address enrollment. By shedding some areas (likely the southern edge), we might be able to shrink to a sustainable size. Maybe. Capture patterns make it unclear if this would really work and we might still have to shrink Spanish Immersion down to 2 sections.

There was some data presented on

  • current patterns of the K lottery and middle school lottery as it applies to Scott
  • Programing for middle school students at K-8 versus Middle Schools
  • Research on Spanish Immersion programs for addressing academic performance
  • History of Boundaries for the area

Finally, we made our own data by voting on our values with dots and posters on the wall.

Click on the link below to see the data we’ve collected so far.

Scott Survey Data-1

Click on the link below to see the open ended responses to the surveys.